Wednesday 21 October 2009

outside it's raining but in here it's entertaining

So tonight's film is Moulin Rouge. I don't know how I've never seen it either, I'm pretty sure I tried once but fell asleep. I thought I'd hate it but NO, I have been gripped. I love the postmodern intertextuality with the songs, like when Satine is singing 'Diamonds are a girl's best friend' and then breaks in to 'Material Girl', the video for which was a homge to Monroe's scene in 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'. Also, it's got dancing in, and I love a bit of all that. I won't carp on about the costumes in it; I can't say I'm really a fan of all that frilly knicker, corsets, stocking and suspenders thing (not all girls think the sun shines out of Dita Von Teese's -hole). I do like the men's clothes in it. McGregor's turn as a bohemian writer, I mean that is a classic look. Hoo Ray.

Another Scot I have been indulging in is that there Paolo Nutini. During two days of utter despair and potential breakdown I have not been able to stop listening to his music, tracks 'Candy', 'Pencil Full of Lead' and '10/10' in particular. I know there have been mixed reviews re. 'Sunny Side Up' vs. 'These Streets' but he really can do no wrong, they're both fantastic albums. I'd even lay it out there and say he's the only current 'pop' or 'chart' artist worth listening to. I shan't try and analyse it too much but basically I think there is depth and sincerity to everything he does, even though to look at him you'd think he was a wee scamp who put it about rather than singing 'It was in love I was created and in love is how I hope I die', but there we are. He claims his mum is more rock 'n' roll than he is but I can't say, can't say.

Ok what else? Here is my Marsha Marsha Marsha (Brady) shirt. It's a hundred years old M&S; seriously, it's the oldest thing from M&S I've ever seen and I've not seen another label like it. Everyone laughed at me at work when I bought it. They may have a point but I carry on regardless.
I really like the shirt, excuse the fact I look like I'm having miserable time wearing it.

2 comments:

  1. thanks! it looks good with ripped denim shorts or for work with a twee little pinafore dress. the pink is scarily lurid though

    ReplyDelete